Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hi My Name is Sarah Melone and I am a Runner.

"Why are you so muscular?" "You're not very feminine." "Why are your arms so big?" These are just a couple things I've heard from my peers, mostly non-runners, and even some of my own teachers, while going through school, and beginning my journey as a cross country and track runner. Running is really a part of who I am, and I would like to inform non-runners about why I am who I am.  

If my brothers didn't force me to join the track team in 5th grade, I would never realize how much I love running. Running to me is everything. It's helped shape me as a person, as well as many other people in my life. Running gives me the ability to forget everything going on in my busy schedule, or any of the problems that I'm dealing with. When I run, the only things on my mind are; my pace, my form, and my focus. Running has also encouraged me to gain a lot of self-discipline, as well as healthy habits, and strong morals and values about who I am as a person, including my personal choice to not drink alcohol or use drugs.    

Along with running cross country and track, and being an advocate for healthy habits; I am a full time student at Elmhurst College, studying to become a Registered Nurse. I've always known I wanted to have a career in the health profession, because as a kid, I loved going to my Mom's hospital with her when she picked up her paychecks. Walking through the big hospital, all of her fellow nurse friends would greet her, and everyone seemed to love their jobs. The nurses also always wore cool scrubs with their favorite cartoon characters on them! Just like in cross country and track, the nurses in my mother's unit worked as a team to achieve one goal, And I knew that was something I wanted to be a part of. 

On this blog I will talk about: healthy habits, having a good body image, as well as my journey as a female runner, and becoming a nurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment